Five For...Blog Action Day 2009



Today is Blog Action Day 2009 and the topic is Climate Change. Since I signed up to blog about this, I have been trying to decide what to blog about. There are so many possibilities. The Blog Action Day site has a link to The Top 100 Effects of Global Warming. This made for interesting reading, but it didn't really help me. With so many areas that climate change is affecting, how could I choose just one? They ALL seem so important in one way or another. (OK, maybe not the 'Say Goodbye to Pinot Noir', but then, if you're a wine-lover, it might be earth-shattering for you.)

In the end, I have decided to talk about....holidays. I love them. I love planning for them, packing for them, travelling to my destination and of course, relaxing when I get there! I would hate to have to give them up. However, I hear little whisperings in my ear...words like 'carbon footprint' and 'off-setting'. So I decided to do a little searching with my good friend, Google.

I found a gem of a site called ResponsibleTravel.com. It's fantastic, listing everything from green/eco holidays to adventure to luxury and even volunteering holidays. Really, I can't speak highly enough about them, check them out!

If you would like to be more climate-friendly and still enjoy your holidays, here are a few things to think about when planning:
  • Plan your route to minimise carbon emissions - travel by train and public transport where possible, and minimise internal flights.
  •  For train travel almost anywhere in the world, go to Seat61.com
  • Use public transport, hire a bike or walk when convenient - its a great way to meet local people on their terms and reduce pollution and carbon emissions.
  • Buy local produce in preference to imported goods.
  • Use water sparingly - its very precious in many countries and tourists tend to use far more than local people.
  • If you are planning to go diving or snorkelling on your holiday, check out these tips. 
  • Particularly on exotic holidays, THINK TWICE about your souvenirs.
  • Ask your tour operator for specific tips for responsible travel in your destination.
I hope this has given you a few ideas to think about and make your next holiday/vacation climate-friendly. That way you can relax knowing you're helping to keep the environment beautiful for future generations to enjoy too! What could be better than that? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment