Five For...Fantastic Risotto Primavera

OK...I have to make a confession.

I do not like risotto. I never have. (There, I said it.)

Given this information...you can assume that I was desperate for some new and different fasting Lenten recipes after six weeks of chickpeas and chinese stir-fry. So...I trawled through the new Everyday Vegetarian cookbook that I picked up at the bargain bookshop. You'll be more than surprised, that out of over 100 recipes, I chose a risotto recipe (Risotto Primavera). I'll come clean...I liked the picture...it looked inviting. Plus, it had asparagus in it (one of my all-time favourite veggies). So...ignoring my usual avoidance of risottos of any kind, I put it on the grocery list.

Let me tell you...it was a WINNER. The 3 little angel-girls ate it in record time, and...angel-girl #1 actually asked for not only seconds (unheard of), but THIRDS! This one is a definite keeper. Also going in its favour is that it is ridicuously simple to make. Once all your veggies are cut up, it takes about three steps to make. (My only criticism is one of risottos in general, you have to stir constantly for about 20 minutes, which can get a bit tiring. DH and I actually took turns in tag-team fashion.)

Step 1:
Make vegetable stock and simmer.

Step 2:
Heat some olive oil and stir-fry the veggies for about 3-4 minutes.



Step 3:
Fry an onion and some fresh garlic in olive oil, add arborio rice and fry until transluscent.



Step 4:
Add in vegetables and stock one ladle at a time until the liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly.
When done, add in spring onions (scallions) to garnish and a knob of butter.

Step 5:
Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment